Saturday, May 5, 2012

First Base

I've officially gotten to first base with Buenos Aires. I consider successful acculturation comparable to scoring a home run; there are certain checkpoints along the way. First base can be both the hardest and the easiest to get to depending on the location. It includes the simple task of not staying in one's room and eating something not from a package. After my half-ass arrival last night I wasn't feeling super confident today, so getting to first base was a little harder than I anticipated, especially because I've been sleeping on the floor this year while at college (again, courtesy of Champlain College Residential Life). Having a real bed was a welcome luxury, so I enjoyed it for a while this morning.

So everybody can stop accusing me of not taking pictures, I took a picture while in the central square. This picture ended up getting me unwanted attention for being a tourist, and sure enough two brutish looking males came and sat on either side of me with much too amiable intentions. I grabbed my backpack and holed-up in a Starbucks for a while, declining my new friends' offer to stay and chat. I'm not very good at cities.

Here is the picture that almost cost me my computer, phone, passport, and dignity:


Update: The thieves got my headphones. They were pretty well inside my backpack, so I'm impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment